Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why I do what I do

No, god did not call me like he did to Bush and ask me to save the world

It has been two months and the journey of guiding so many people for GD/PI has been enthralling. Lots of people have said ‘thank you very much’ through comments, personal mails and even phone calls. Now with the interview and GD schedules at most colleges coming to an end, I thought I should write on what inspired me to take this whole initiative. I have put my reasons in the reverse order of importance (The last point is the most important :))

1. Was it money? Many would have heard about Google Adsense and would also have seen the Ads on my blog. Yeah, the clicks on Ads do generate some revenue and I have been richer by a couple of dollars (you heard it correct) in the last two months :). The attraction for me was not a few dollars (though it buys me a couple of coffees), but to learn about Google Adsense and how it has revolutionized the way Advertisements work on the net. This is called ‘Long tail of Advertising’ and has inspired internet users and is a driving force behind Web 2.0. So it has been a great learning for me understanding the whole thing practically and I don’t mind the couple of coffees it would buy:) If things I have talked here are too heavy, dig up a little on the net on Google Adsense, ‘Web 2.0’ and ‘Long tail of advertising’. Anyway, Nidhi has agreed to write a small piece for my blog on the these subjects in the next couple of days to enlighten us all.
I Learnt.

2. I love teaching and Nidhi says I am good at it. I have been doing a little here and there. I also guided many of my juniors at IIMB for their GD and PIs. So when some people asked for my help in their prep for GD and PI, I thought blog was a nice way since I could do it everyday and many more people can benefit from it.
I Taught.

3. Writing has been a passion, but the urge for writing comes once in a bluemoon. I had started writing a blog wannakeepwriting.blogspot.com and had written about four pieces in the last one year. I wrote only when I was in a great mood to do so, not for the sake of it and enjoyed every bit of it. Catfundae gave me another venue and I have been enjoying writing and thinking
I Wrote.

4. Job satisfaction Vs Work satisfaction – I pursue good set of hobbies like Bird watching, trekking… Play a lot of sports (you name it, I play it)… eat of a lot of food… write a little bit here and there… read a lot… travel… fight with my wife… play with my kid… I have always done a lot of things outside my job and have never demanded that my job give me all the pleasures of life. At times I have killed myself at the job working like mad, but mostly have maintained a sane work-life balance. Catfundae was something I loved, was decently good at and was a great learning experience. What more can you ask from your work.
I Worked.

5. Most importantly, Blog provides what other work may not – Independence. You have complete control on what you do and you can spill your creativity as much as you want. People can cry hoarse, but they cannot stop :)
I Enjoyed.

I may have disappointed a few who thought it was ‘just philanthropy’ and some will bash me up for digressing (from GD/PI fundaes).
I wanted to say it. I have done so. As always, the comment section is open for critique. Roses and brickbats, keep them coming. They keep me going.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very inspiring to read it. I am very thankful for ur encouragement and support during GD/PI. Ur support helped me not only in performing well in GD/PI but also gave me a great thing creative thinking. I never bothered to think beyond my work , boundry. I am developing an ability to think out of the box. Million thanks for it.
It's great to know about work-life balance.

5:00 AM, March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Gyaneeji

I agree with everything you said..Its gr8 that you are doing the kind of work you love the most. I think everyone of us should follow our heart and not do what society expects us to..even if that means not to do an mba :)

Thanks
Akash

5:19 AM, March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Good things have to end!!! may range from a boom in stock market ;) to this blog...I will not say that the journey is traversed but I wud def end up saying that a vision is attained!!! I remember the day wen my confidence in GD/PI was rock bottom and I used to dread the very word...and today I m ready to say 'Bring 'em on'...
I am not that averse a reader of news and thus lack the matter in my GDs...But one thing which I have developed thru this blog and thru interactions is the confidence to speak...After having given 5 GDs I feel satisfied over my performance...Cud not have done better with my armoury...

THANKS Gyan-ee for such a wonderful work...Rarely seen ppl workung such selflessly...

Jus want to add one more things here...I will do wotever it takes to contribute to this blog and let us keep it running...I can contribute in teaching Maths to CAT aspirants s my English is OUTStanding...
Wot say Gyan-ee, ready for a 2nd innings???

-PS

7:34 PM, March 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gyan-ee,
I hope this doesnt signify a farewell mail :)Would love to participate even apart from the gd aim!

I'd like to thank you once more for this initiative. Even though you say it isnt philanthropy, I say there is a lot of time & effort involved in helping others, & that definitely, is philanthropy!

I dont know whether you would like to continue with the same in future, or maybe ramp up the operations to online classes :)

In case you decide to continue,maybe we could help you with some actual experiences & topics that we encountered.

Please let me know if there is any other way I can contribute & ensure many more benefit from this.

Heartfelt regards, & looking forward to more on this forum.

Aparna

9:44 PM, March 01, 2007  
Blogger Sumit Khandelwal said...

Very Well Suggested people....

Gyaneeji has helped us fight the battle and made us learn a lot.We need to thank him for his noble cause and would request him to continue with this social group and we would like to contribute with our experience in the GD/PI....

Thanks a lot all those who had contributed valuably for the benifit for each one of us.

Sumit

11:06 PM, March 01, 2007  
Blogger Atul said...

sometimes its so inspiring to see someone who is so much clear about what he does and what he plans to do...
and i am privileged to have a daily interaction.

have learned a lot from this blog and would have been glad to use my learnings if given opportunities..;-)

and yes, i am game for any kind of contribution that i can make to this place.

Atul

10:22 PM, March 08, 2007  
Blogger Arjun said...

Atul,

Any contribution, big or small is welcome. It could be CAT/GD/PI experiences, math/english fundae, shortcuts, preparation methods, website design and layout, software programs :)

Just anything as long as you enjoy doing that, learn something for yourself and someone finds it useful - In that order of importance :)

1:50 AM, March 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home